Still, I remember my graduation days in Austin, TX. One of my roommates was a student at Le Cordon Bleu culinary school in TX.
So he was our chief chef. He was a very passionate cooker; he was obsessed with razor-sharp shiny knives, had dozens of them. From him, I basically learned about knives.
Honestly, I have to say it, there’s a ton of varieties of the best kitchen knives in the market. As like Wusthof Knives, Calphalon Knives, etc, to learn all of them and choose the right one aren’t so easy at all. My purpose is to help you to get the perfect one.
As far as I know, every home chef needs a knife skills book to choose a knife, how to maintain it and work properly and safely. Good knife skills will also allow you to cut ingredients uniformly creating the best presentation in the final dish.
- 1. Best Chef Knives Reviews
- 2. Best German Kitchen Knives Reviews
- 3. Best Japanese Kitchen Knives Reviews
- 4. Best Carving Kitchen Knives Reviews
- 5. Best Boning Kitchen Knives Reviews
- 6. Best Bread Knives Reviews
- 7. Best Ceramic Knives Reviews
- 8. Consider Before Buying Kitchen Knives
- 9. Proper Care For Kitchen Knives
My personal choices of some kitchen knife books are:
Hope, you will enjoy these books.
Before buying a kitchen knife, you have to decide what you need to do. I categorize some types of knife. It will be helpful for you to find the best kitchen knife for you.
Best Chef Knives Reviews
A chef’s knife in-home cooks are the equivalent of a Swiss Army knife – it’s ready to perform any task given it.
For simple daily life uses, everything from slicing zucchini to cubing large cuts of meat, chef knives is the best.
The chef knives are basically ranged from 6’ to 10; also there are some other sized Chef’s knives on the market.
Let’s check the best ones
Shun DM0706 Classic 8-Inch Chef’s Knife
The Japanese knives have a reputation for being very sharp and shiny.
The blade is famous for edge retention and very sharp.
Each blade has a core of VG-10 “Super Steel” with a Pattern Damascus cladding of 32 layers high carbon stainless steel and 16 layers on either side.
- VG-10 stainless steel clad with 32 layers of high carbon stainless steel.
- Measures approximately 12 by 2 inches.
- 8-inch chef’s knife for slicing, chopping, and dicing.
- Excellent rust resistance.
- Black laminated and PakkaWood D-shaped handle for maximum comfort.
DALSTRONG Chef Knife – Gladiator Series – German HC Steel – 8″ (200mm)
I bought the knife as a gift for someone, at this time I don’t know but the quality of the knife in all appearances was excellent and very good quality steel so I am pretty sure it might be a good purchase for you Dean – A friend’s recommendation to me.
- Excellent cutting-edge technology, premium materials. so good at this price.
- High-carbon German steel with a hand-polished edge at 18 degrees per side (imported).
- Precisely tempered and stain-resistant.
- Incredibly razor-sharp, full-tang.
- Engineered to perfection and hand polished to a satin finish.
- Tapered for improved hardness, flexibility, and minimal slicing resistance.
The is for performing various types of tasks. Almost everything from slicing zucchini to cubing large cuts of meat. That’s why a chef knife is in every household.
Victorinox Fibrox 8-Inch Chef’s Knife – 40520
It’s a Budget Chef Knife Low cost, high quality, it’s the specialty of this knife.
- This knife features an 8” blade and is 2” wide at the handle.
- The stainless steel blade is hand finished at Victorinox in Switzerland.
- High carbon is made and a special tempering process is used to produce an edge that can be resharpened several times again that’s why this knife can keep its original sharpness throughout the entire life the blade.
Professional chef’s knives are valuable kitchen tools worth investing in, and with proper care, they will last a lifetime.
ZWILLING J.A. Henckels Four-Star 8-inch Chef’s Knife
The manufacturing company Zwilling J.A. Henckels is producing the best German steel knife since 1895.
Their latest Henckels Twin Four Star Chef’s Knife makes slicing and dicing the second nature. Laser-controlled edge with a sharper blade, in a single word it’s really a beautiful knife.
- 8” blade, handy for multitasking, chopping vegetables mincing herbs.
- Dimensions: 16.5L x 2.75W x 1.5H inch.
- Blades are High-carbon stainless steel made with superior strength.
- Molded Polypropylene Handle.
- Absolute safe to use in the dishwasher.
Best German Kitchen Knives Reviews
German Kitchen knives are well-known for high performance, easy handling and durability, and highly rated quality and standards.
The main reason that sets German knives apart from other knives is the composition of German steel.
It is X50CrMoV15 means 80% iron, 0.5% carbon, and 15% a combination of chromium, vanadium, and molybdenum.
Here are some of
J.A. HENCKELS INTERNATIONAL Classic 8-inch Chef’s Knife
J.A. HENCKELS INTERNATIONAL Classic 8-inch Chef’s Knife is a very classic German-made, high-performance knife.
This must-have product for every cook provides the perfect blade shape for mincing, slicing, and dicing. This Knife is made of stain-resistant carbon steel that’s hot drop forged for durability.
- It is an 8-inch multipurpose chef’s knife for mincing, chopping, slicing, and dicing.
- High-carbon German stainless steel-made forged blades and bolsters. Mainly the product is assembled in Spain. Blade sourced from Germany.
- Full-tang triple-rivet handle.
- Hand washing is recommended and also dishwasher safe.
Mercer Culinary Genesis 6-Piece Forged Knife Block Set
Mercer Culinary Genesis 6-Piece Forged Knife Block Set very well-made, fully forged, one-piece construction that separates Genesis from other cutlery on the market.
The high carbon German steel blades are made using European technology, quality is the first priority of them.
- This set’s knives are made of high carbon no-stain German cutlery steel, which absolutely resists rust, corrosion, and discoloration.
- Precision-forged construction for better strength and durability.
- Ergonomic Santoprene handles have superior comfort and a strong non-slip grip, even with wet hands.
- Taper-ground edges allow for added stability, and easy honing, and also ensure long-lasting sharpness.
Wusthof Classic 8-Piece Knife Set
Among the knife manufacturers, Wusthof Classic 8-Piece Knife Sets are known for: impeccable construction, incredible sharpness, and long-lasting durability.
This is the first knife set you have to buy for the last time. Each Classic knife is a precision forged blade, tang, and bolster.
The blade is tested by lasers and with computer-controlled front-to-back tapering, grinding, and polishing honed by hand.
- The set includes chef’s, kitchen paring, utility shears; sharpening steel, and oak block, bread, and sandwich knives.
- Knives are fully from a single piece of high-carbon, stain-resistant steel.
- Blades are grounded and polished for perfect tapering and a fully hand-honed edges for precision slicing.
- Synthetic handle secured with three rivets.
- Hand washing is recommended.
Best Japanese Kitchen Knives Reviews
The Japanese knives are very thin, razor-sharp, and exclusively precise in slicing like paper-thin cuts. Honestly saying, everyone doesn’t suit to hold this Japanese knife, though because the blades are thin and made of hard steel.
If these Japanese Kitchen Knives aren’t handled with care and stored carefully, they may break down.
Ginsu 7108 Chikara 8-Piece Stainless Steel Knife Set
In the Japanese language “Chikara” means power and energy. The 420J2 Japanese stainless steel fully forged blades and traditional Japanese handles express the true meaning of Chikara in the kitchen.
- All of the knife components the blade, bolster, and tang is made from a single piece of steel for superior balance and strength.
- Handles are made from heat and water-resistant high-grade resin, and they fit smoothly in your hand.
- Ancient touch bamboo storage block designed to store and protect your cutlery will compliment any kitchen.
- Ginsu knives are made to perform both now and for years to come.
One thing is common in all Japanese kitchen knives, all of them have the signature razor-like edge.
Shun Premier Chef’s Knife, 8-Inch
Everyone loves Shun knives for their beauty and amazing sharpness. The Shun Premier Chef’s Knife may not be the cheapest Japanese kitchen knife but it will be the sharpest knife on your kitchen shelves.
- It is made of hard VG-10 steel (high carbon steel made and graded in Japan) clad with 32 layers of high-carbon stainless steel.
- 8-inch sharp chef’s knife for versatile slicing, chopping, dicing, etc.
- Excellent rust resistance.
- Black laminated and PakkaWood D-shaped handle provide maximum comfort while slicing.
- Approximately 12 by 2 inches.
Shun Classic 7-Piece Block Set
This Japanese-made Kitchen Knives Set includes everything you need in a cutlery set. Actually, most of the commercial sets include upwards of ten knives, but you will end up using five or six on a regular basis.
The quality of these blades is too good and the edges are razor sharp. With proper honing, these blades will keep their edge for over a year of daily use.
- Includes: 8’ chef’s knife, 9” bread knife, 3-½” paring knife, 6” utility knife, sharpening steel, Taskmaster shears, and 11-slot bamboo block.
- VG-10 high-carbon stainless-steel blades with 16 layers of stainless alloy.
- One-piece stainless steel bolster, tang, and end-cap.
- PakkaWood handles are black laminated with a D-shaped profile for a comfortable grip.
Yoshihiro Gyuto Japanese Chefs Knife
Yoshihiro Gyuto Japanese Chefs Knife is the most versatile used knife that a cook can have, is the Japanese chef’s Gyuto knife. It is renowned for Aesthetic design with a samurai cutting edge.
- 3 layered construction with a VG-10 Japanese stainless steel, is cored with an HRC 60.
- It ensures exceptional sharpness, edge retention, and durability.
- 16-layer hammered outer steel functional design, able to eliminate the friction and keep food from sticking to the blade.
- The Wood handles with a full tang and well-balanced construction.
- 100% handcrafted by skilled tradesmen in Japan.
Best Carving Kitchen Knives Reviews
Do you like to make thin cuts on your roasts or meat? The best thing you need is a carving knife for your kitchen knife set.
Victorinox 12-Inch Granton Edge Slicing Knife
I see this type of knife in BBQ competitions. Victorinox 12-Inch Granton Edge Slicing Knife is very sharp and the length allows you. To slice steak in one long pull.
The hollows in the blade keep the meat from ‘sticking’ to the blade. Expertly made in Switzerland your money is well worth it.
- 12” Granton Edge Slicing Knife comes with a safe, rounded tip. It has a straight edge to maximize the cutting surface.
- The blade is High-carbon stainless-steel made. It is stamped from cold-rolled steel.
- The patented Fibrox handle is textured, slip-resistant, and is specially designed for balance and comfort.
- Hand washing is recommended.
Mercer Culinary Genesis 8-Inch Forged Carving Knife
Mercer Culinary Genesis 8-Inch Forged Carving Knife is for those who take cooking seriously, almost 90% of all culinary academies, and is favored by professional chefs.
The 8” Carving Knife is made of one piece of forged German Steel for nonslip grip Santoprene handle for superior balance, strength, and durability.
- 8” Genesis Collection carving knife is perfect for slicing and carving meat and fish.
- Made of high-carbon, Single-piece forged German steel.
- Features a taper grind, bolster, and hand-polished edge.
- The Black Santoprene nonslip handle is for excellent comfort and safety.
Wusthof Classic 2-Piece Hollow-Ground Carving Set
The Two-Piece Hollow Edge Carving Set includes a 6″ Carving Fork and 8″ Hollow Edge Carving Knife.
This German-made Wusthof Classic line is renowned for the “last knives you’ll ever need to buy”. The knife has a great balance just like every other Wusthof Classic knife.
- The Two-Piece Hollow Edge Carving Set includes a 6″ Carving Fork and an 8″ Hollow Edge Carving Knife for slicing turkey, ham, or roast.
- These knife blades are also forged from a single piece of high-carbon stainless steel.
- Triple-riveted handles ensure you superior strength and balance.
- Weighted bolster and full tang.
- Better in washing by hand.
Unlike the paring knives or modeling knives, the carving knives are large and commonly used to make thin cuts of meat.
Best Boning Kitchen Knives Reviews
A boning knife is usually used to remove bones from meat, poultry, or fish by cutting the meat instead of cutting the bone itself.
The boning knife is also used to butterfly a piece of meat such as chicken breast, lamb chop, or pork.
Victorinox 6-Inch Flex Boning Knife
Victorinox 6-Inch Flex Boning Knife expertly made in Switzerland, it is flexible enough to debone fish, cut away silver skin, or maneuver around bones quickly and precisely.
The tip is sharp and at the same time, the handle is comfortable. And it is a very affordable knife.
- 6” boning knife with thin, sharp, and flexible blade ideal for fish from the bone separating meat poultry, with precise control.
- High-carbon made stainless-steel blade provides maximum sharpness.
- Patented Fibrox handles are textured and slip-resistant.
- Hand washing is recommended.
ZELITE INFINITY Boning Knife 6 inch
Do you want to prepare food as Master chefs do on Cooking Shows? Cutting & slicing are like a professional cook.
Perfect for slicing steak, filleting fish removing bones from meats, fishes, and lots more This Japanese VG10 Super Steel made ZELITE INFINITY Boning Knife 6 inch is perfect for you, You’re Going To Absolutely Love This Professional Boning Knife.
- Japanese Takefu VG 10 Super Steel is made with 67-layer High Carbon Stainless Steel our Knife Boning is Non-Stick, has an Exquisite Tsunami Rose Damascus Pattern, and is Liquid Nitrogen Tempered ensuring.
- G10 Handle is triple riveted, and is renowned for Extra Strength & Durability.
- Perfect Balance Japanese Boning Knife VG-10 Knife.
- Long-Lasting Performance! Stain & Rust Resistant.
Best Bread Knives Reviews
Bread knives are usually designed to cut soft, spongy bread. It has serrated blades to let you cut smoothly through the soft bread without squashing or crushing it. They are unique when from other kitchen knives.
Victorinox Swiss Army 10-1/4″ Serrated Bread Knife
Victorinox Swiss Army 10-1/4″ Serrated Bread Knife is the classic all-time best bread knife. It’s a simple, stamped knife, cheap, flexible, and thin, expertly made in Switzerland.
- 10-¼” bread knife professional built-up quality.
- Excellent, Ice-tempered, high-carbon, stainless-steel blade with maximum sharpness.
- Conical ground for the wider breakpoint.
- Hand washing is recommended.
Zyliss Bread Knife with Sheath Cover
It may not be a usual knife design but the black color gives it a unique look, this Zyliss Bread Knife’s performance is excellent.
- It cuts through crisp bread without sticking.
- High-carbon made stainless steel blade retains the super sharp edge and easily can be re-sharpened for long-lasting use.
- Handle with a soft-touch rubber grip.
- It reduces hand fatigue and allows for precision.
- Handwash Recommended.
- Complete Dishwasher Safe.
Best Ceramic Knives Reviews
Ceramic knives are basically durable and have sharp edges, it doesn’t require to be sharpened for years, this uniqueness makes them a favorite with many chefs.
Ceramic Knives are made of strong materials like aluminum oxide and zirconium oxide that’s why ceramic knives are durable and have very sharp edges.
Kyocera Revolution Series Chef Knife. The ceramic knives are specially made for elegance.
Kyocera Advanced Ceramic Revolution Series 7-inch Professional Chef’s Knife
Kyocera Advanced Ceramic Revolution Series 7-inch Professional Chef’s Knives are well-known for various food prep applications, ease of use, great comfort in hand while cutting and slicing, and for being lightweight and thin which produces less fatigue on your wrist.
This knife is a great choice for performing various tasks such as cutting, dicing, or doing fine chopping or paper-thin slicing.
- Ultra-sharp 7” ceramic chef’s knife with an aesthetic black blade, very easy for chopping, dicing, and mincing.
- The Ceramic blade is produced with microscopic precision by rolling diamond wheels for excellent sharpness retention and rock-like edge.
- Lightweight, well-balanced in the hand.
- Hand washes only.
Ozeri OZK1 Elite Chef Ceramic 3-Piece Knife Set
Equipped with an ultra-sharp ceramic blade and ergonomic handle, this lightweight ceramic kitchen knife reduces fatigue when used for repetitive cutting.
Additionally, since this kitchen knife is resistant to oils, salts, juices, acids, or other elements, it will not rust.
Another great choice as a ceramic knife might be the Ozeri Elite Chef Black Ceramic Set. It comes up with three ultra-sharp ceramic knives, this knife set can not only help you chop and dice with ease but also allow you to slice through vegetables, fruits, and boneless meat easily.
- The Elite Chef Black Ceramic Knife Set includes 3 sharp knives.
- It is coupled with perfectly balanced ergonomic handles.
- Each blade is close in hardness to diamond and has razor-sharpness 10 times longer than steel blades.
- The Elite Chef Knives do not corrode, or rust unlike metal knives, or leach metal ions in common foods.
- Knives are weighted less than an equivalent metal knife, thereby it reduces fatigue and security from repetitive cutting and meal preparation.
Ceramic knives are a really great option for those who looking for a knife that is fit for slicing vegetables, fruits, and boneless meats at the same time.
The ceramic blades are more strong than steel but they tend to be more fragile and tend to break down.
Consider Before Buying Kitchen Knives
Besides the various beneficial facts, you also have to look at some things before buying kitchen knives.
The edge is the main portion of the blade, it performs the cutting and slicing. If you need a sharp blade, it’s better to have a Japanese knife.
Not only looking at the edge and also be sure to choose a knife with a good grip. While chopping onions, if the knife is slipped, I think, I needn’t say what’s going to happen.
This is a thick band of steel. It provides a little extra balance and reduces the chances of accidental slips.
This is the edge close to the knife handle. You can add pressure on this portion and cut meats. It’s better to be hard on this portion.
It is the front of the blade. It is particularly suitable for cutting small foods. And It is for piercing cutting. This portion of the blade is a little more fragile it’s better to be careful.
It sits opposite the edge. It is basically blunt, possible to apply some pressure on this part to cut through certain foods.
This portion of the blade connects to the handle. This gives the knife a little more balance.
Proper Care For Kitchen Knives
To make sure your knives are in tip-top condition at all times you will need to provide them with proper care! Below, you will find tips for caring for your kitchen knives.
Many users store their knives together in a drawer and just forget about them. The tip of the knife may be broken.
You need proper dry storage for your knives. And also it should be kept away from your children.
Clean up the Knives
Clean-up is needed after every cooking season to keep them clean and shiny. The majority of knives can be easily washed by hand, sometimes you may need dishwashers.
This maintains its sharp edge for many years. There are basically two types of honing blades HONING STEEL and another DIAMOND STEEL. Both types are working fine yet DIAMOND STEEL made honing blades are slightly better.
Use a Cutting Board
Most of the blades are damaged from their cutting surfaces. So cutting board is really important for your knives. Basically, the plastic or wooden board is less harmful to your blade edge, glass and bamboo-made cutting boards are also good for your knives.
Finally to say,
A perfect knife is your daily kitchen companion. It is basically used for everything from preparing steaks for the grills to mincing onions. Nice and shiny kitchen knives are also an ornament of your kitchen. So you will pick a good one for you.