Hunting with a crossbow is the ultimate challenge. When you hunt with the same weapons and skills humans have used for thousands of years, it adds a completely different dimension to the sport. No hunting skillset would be complete without the addition of crossbow expertise.
The X-bow offers any hunter the perfect balance of patience, tracking, and accuracy abilities. No matter what your skill level, if you don’t have time to do the necessary research, we have everything you need to make an informed decision in one convenient place.
To help you choose which crossbow in 2019 suits your hunting needs, here is our list of the 12 Best Crossbows Available Today. For those of you who are short on time, one of our top picks is the Excalibur Matric-380. If you have a crossbow, then you should make the effort to invest in a bow sight that’ll suit your needs and improve your game.
Barnett continued to raise the bar when they introduced the Recruit Tactical is 2017. In terms of draw weight, speed, quality, and design, it blows the competition away in its class. Not only is it the best-priced item Barnett offers, but it also gives the most bang for your buck.
The Recruit Tactical has been designed for beginner archers or those who are younger and/or smaller framed. The dimensions are compact and impressively lightweight. This makes it ideal for easy Manoeuvrability, Aiming, and Firing.
The Barnet-Recruit-Tactical comes with everything the beginner archer needs to get the hang of hunting right away.
- Premium red-dot sight
- Rope cocking device abilities
- Lightweight quiver
- 2 x Head-hunter Arrows
- Lubrication wax
- A hex key, bolts, nuts
- High quality & affordable price
- Easy to cock
- Durable and compact
- Accurate for distances of up to 50 yards/46m
- Best crossbow to help develop beginner skills
- Safety features
- Premium red-dot sight for a simplified shooting experience
- Package doesn’t include a case
- Could include more bolts
- Not for large/tall beginners
Many adults have the crossbow hunting bug bite them and when it does, they will want to look at the Barnett-Jackal Crossbow package. It’s easy to assemble at home and once the set-up is complete, you can look forward to easy accuracy at distances around 60 yards/54m.
The trigger pull is approximately 3.5 lbs/1.6 kgs. This will feel perfect for adult beginners who want to prevent accidental firing, but still enough give to pull the trigger without firing. The crossbow mechanism is fairly loud, but this is to be expected with such a powerful weapon. You can expect to hit around 1”/2.2 cm away from the bullseye, even without using the red-dot sight that comes with the package.
- Using 400-grain arrows translates to approx.
82 lbs/37 kgs stopping power per 30 yards/74 m
- Red-dot sight
- Detachable quiver
- Hex keys, bolts, screws
- Quiver platform
- Best for adult beginner
- Cost to power ratio high-value
- Package includes everything
- Provides legal levels of kinetic energy to hunt in the U.S.
- Dry firing prevented by automated safety
- Military-style stock
- Easy Assembly
- Package doesn’t include rope-cocking device
Crosman, are the CenterPoint’s makers, and better known for their BB guns. They’ve been able to enter the crossbow market successfully, in our opinion.
First up, the CenterPoint isn’t the lightest or the smallest crossbow on the market, but at 7.9 lbs/3.5 kgs, it’s not impossible to carry it to your favorite hunting field or target practice. It comes with a convenient shoulder sling in the package. The good news that, for the money, it has no problem bringing down anything from Cape buffalo to multi-prong bucks. The accuracy the CenterPoint gives makes hitting these targets solidly in the vital organ a breeze.
- 4 x 32 scope
- 4 x arrow quiver
- Cocking rope
- Shoulder sling
- 20” carbon bolts
- Fast 370 fps firing velocity
- Compact & lightweight
- Fully adjustable tactical stock & forearm
- Scope included
- Very vague instruction manual
- Marginally front heavy
- The stock feels slightly flimsy, though still durable
We don’t recommend you buy the CenterPoint if you are new to crossbow assembly and have no access to a local bow tech to help you assemble this package. If you are familiar with X-bow assembly, you should have no problem setting up. On the field, the CenterPoint delivers a hefty 128 lbs/58 kgs of kinetic energy, enough to take down the biggest legal game.
The draw weight of 185 lbs is not such a backbreaker to cock when you use the rope cocking device that comes with the package. The scope is not a red-dot, nor is it top of the line tech; but the multi-reticle is solid enough, holds zero nearly forever, and sights in easily. Even seasoned hunters haven’t felt the need to replace the CenterPoint scope with something more high-tech.
The Excalibur Matrix-380 X-bow scores very high with our testers. It is sturdy and powerful; perfect for hunting. Despite its serious hunting capabilities, the Matrix-380 is still well balanced and lightweight. This makes it extremely comfortable to handle. Extras features include the camouflage design that prevents the bow from alerting your position, a nice thing to have when using a blind.
- Simple and easy to maintain in the field
- Perfect for any skill level
- Sturdy build
- Riser attaches quickly to the limbs
- Fits comfortably and securely against the shoulder
- Comes with a high-quality scope
- Built for durability
- Compact and lightweight
- Costly, but worth the investment
- The 260 lbs draw weight needs a rope cocking device
- Short power stroke
If hunting in close quarters and running is what you enjoy, the Ravin-R10 is for you. Its narrow design is perfect for Manoeuvring around trees and bushes. The Helicoil technology eliminates the need to pass the wires through the rail-slot, and the design combines high-velocity with quietness and stealth.
- Helicoil technology makes it compact, accurate, and powerful
- Fires bolts up to 400 fps
- Arrives fully assembled & pre-tuned
- Systems include Frictionless Flight, Trac-Trigger, and Versa draw-cocking
- Unbeatable Manoeuvrability
- 12 lbs draw weight
- Lightweight & compact
- Feels the same as a rifle when aiming
- High kinetic energy
- Suitable for all game and targets
- Versa draw cocking saves you time & effort
- High quality 100 yard/91 m scope
- Cost: The Ravin-R10 is expensive
- It takes time to learn how to cock the handle
The Ravin-R10 is designed to be handled even when wearing gloves. Even though the Ravin-R10 dimensions are compact, it would still be nice to have it come with a shoulder sling. It would come in handy when propping up the crossbow as well, as it falls over when propped against something, and is too expensive to lay on the ground; a shoulder sling would make it easier to hang.
TenPoint Turbo-GT Crossbow Package (More Highly Recommended Crossbows)
The clear winner of the Game & Fish Reader’s Choice Award 2016, and has held up well against newcomers. It might have a name like a car, but it handles like a precision instrument.
- Adjustable Fusion-S stock
- 3 x Proview scope
- 3 x carbon arrows
- Detach quiver w/ ambidextrous side-mount quiver bracket
- Acu-draw cocking mechanism
- Its 13.5”/35 cms axle to axle measurements when cocked makes it a formidable hunting weapon
- Up to 360 fps
- The scope comes with fixed dovetail mount
- Super high quality bore-sighted at the factory – good to go out of the box
- Power won’t raise your eyebrows but is still adequate for all hunting needs
- Not as quiet as we would like
- String stops needed if you hunt over the distance
A close contender for the best for price and value category, the SA Sports is extremely lightweight with high velocity and power. It is easy to assemble with clear instructions.
- Includes standard anti-dry fire mechanism
- Automatic safety switch
- 4 x 32 multi-reticle sight model
- Easy assembly
- 3.5 lbs/1.5 kgs trigger mechanism
- 3 x carbon arrow; rope cocking device; hex keys
- Extremely quiet & lightweight
- Decent high velocity & power
- Easy assembly
- Limited scope abilities
- Only 1 year warranty
The PSE Fang-Series Compound X-bow is one of the best deals on Amazon. If you are on a budget, but still don’t want to compromise on ShootAbility and performance, the PSE Fang is the X-bow for you.
- Anti-dry fire & auto-safety trigger
- Perfect for all ages and experience levels
- 4 x 32 multi-reticle scope
- 5 x bolt detachable quiver
- Cocking rope
- Tube of rail lubricant
- Comes as a complete kit
- Quick and easy to cock
- Outstanding value
- Hard-hitting and powerful
- The scope could be better
- Bolts in the kit could be better
Based on the Invader HP, but with some new, great features, the g3 is lightweight with a good grip. The stock is semi-skeletal which gives it the lighter weight.
- TenPoint 3 x MultiLine Scope
- Acu-draw cocking mechanism
- Instant Detach-3 Arrow quiver
- 3 x carbon arrows w/ practice tips
- Magnesium riser reduces weight
- Dry fire and misfire-proof
- Highly accurate
- Package scope not illuminated
- No rope cocking device in package
- Short warranty
A solidly performing intermediate level X-bow, another winner from the reputable Barnett brand. A clean, simple design with everything an intermediate hunter would need. Comfortable grip with rubber coating for use in extreme cold weather conditions.
- Trigger Tech
- Anti-dry fire
- Comes semi-assembled
- Finger protection
- Great safety features
- High quality materials
- Lightweight & durable
- Rope cocking device included
- Weak scope that doesn’t match the performance of the X-bow
The Bear X-Torrix-FFL comes complete with everything you need to head out to the woods or bush and start picking off-targets.
- Forward-facing limbs that move the riser and bow weight for optimal balance
- Even stress distribution and efficiency
- Piccatinny rail runs
- Extended finger guards
- Adjustable 3 x S trigger
- Anti-fire safety
- 3 x arrows
- Rail lube
- 3 x multi-reticle scope
- Highly recommended for all levels
- Ready to use
- 115.6 ft to lbs kinetic energy
- On the expensive side
- Heavy, not recommended to carry over long distances
The Hero-380 packs a real punch in its compact, sleek frame. It’s suitable for both the seasoned veteran and the first-timer. Tough, lightweight, and comfortable enough for an easy shoot. This X-bow’s deadly accuracy goes beyond the standard 60 yards/54 m. If you plan on filling your freezer with venison, this is the X-bow for you.
- Lumix 4 x 32 IRW scope
- 3 x bolts
- String suppressor
- 5 x bolt-quiver
- Rope cocker device
- Rail lube
- Multiple additional add-ons available
- Shoots bolts up to 380 fps
- High quality for the price
- Manageable draw weight
- The 3.5 lbs trigger is okay, but a 2 lbs one would have been better
- Package has few extras
- Difficult to assemble
One of the best x-bows on the market for its quality and price. The compact Hero-380 can’t be beaten for accuracy at this level.
When you shop online for your hunting sports gear, make a list of some of the features you need in your crossbow. You should also gauge what level of expertise you are now, and where you hope to be eventually. Finally, sketch out your top-most budget limits.
With these facts at your fingertips, you will have a better X-bow shopping experience in 2019.